Meghan Cureton (@meghancureton)is the Head of Learning and Innovation for Mount Vernon’s Upper School and is the Founding Director of the Innovation Diploma, a program at Mount Vernon in partnership with Mount Vernon’s Institute for Innovation, a program that empowers students to explore, investigate and ultimately tackle problems and opportunities that may not fit within the typical framework of school. The program encourages student learners to partner with leaders in the community to tackle real-world challenges. Built upon the foundation of the five disruptive skills of innovators from Innovator’s DNA – observe, question, associate, network, and experiment – this program allows students to become the drivers and designers of their own learning.
Meghan grew up in the northeast, graduated with a Bachelor’s from the University of Connecticut, and a Master’s in the Art of Teaching from Simmons College. Having grown tired of the north, her family of four relocated to Atlanta, where Meghan initially taught English and served as the Coordinator of Mount Vernon’s school-wide writing program.
With over eleven years of professional experience in Education, Meghan is an enthusiastic learner, reader, and constant sharer of ideas who embraces any opportunity to broaden her learning network.
- Brookhaven Post: Student’s Pocket Park Concept to be Installed in Chamblee’s Whole Foods Development
- Published on EdLeader21 Blog: BLURRING THE LINES BETWEEN SCHOOL AND REAL LIFE: THE IDIPLOMA PROGRAM AT MOUNT VERNON PRESBYTERIAN SCHOOL
- Published on Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation: Assessing Inquiry, Innovation and Impact
- Atlanta Journal Constitution Feature Article: A Real-World Diploma
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL HIGHLIGHTS:
- Attendee of the Site Director Meetup in Portland ,Oregon for the Mastery Transcript Consortium. November 2017.
- “Design a Better World” Co-Presenter at EdLeader21 Annual Event, October 2017.
- “Design a Better World” Plenary Session at Innovation Summit at St. Marks School in collaboration with Independent Curriculum Group. June 2017.
- Traverse: An Expedition to the Future of Learning. Watershed School. Expedition guide and speaker, June 6-8, 2016.
- Facilitated workshop for 120 educators for Southeast schools. Co-created program and Co-Facilitated Design Thinking Workshop. February 12, 2016.
- Co-led professional learning. Mount Vernon Presbyterian Lower School. Curiosity-Based Learning. January 12, 2016
- MVIFI 3rd Annual Council on Innovation: “Disruptive Curiosity” Co-created program. Co-facilitated DEEPdt FlashLab. October 23, 2015.
- Collider: Professional Learning Reimagined. Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation. Co-created full program and led two sessions: Innovative Assessment Strategies and Launching a Humanities Program.
- Traverse: An Expedition to the Future of Learning. Watershed School. Expedition guide and speaker; co-facilitating with Bo Adams. June 8-10, 2015.
- fuse15, Design Thinking Conference at Mount Vernon Presbyterian School and the Mount Vernon Institute for Innovation. d.Team, co-created conference, and facilitated DEEPdt workshop. June 3-5, 2015.
- Recipient of Innovator of the Year Award at Mount Vernon Presbyterian School. May 2015.
- PBL Workshop (attendee) with Jennifer Klein of World Leadership School and Buck Institute for Education, May 26, 2015.
- fuse15 Coaches Training – Co-created coaching curriculum and co-led with Mary Cantwell a design challenge in conjunction with Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA).
- TEDxAtlanta: Bold Moves. April 28, 2015.
- Led design challenge #MVRoundtable – a day-long design thinking experience for nine college and university admissions representatives co-creating next generation ideas for transcripts and ways to capture demonstrations of deep learning for students.
- MVIFI Strategic Design Session Participant. December 15, 2014.
- MVIFI 2nd Annual Council on Innovation: “HMW enhance our creative impact?” Co-created program. Co-facilitated DEEPdt FlashLab. October 24, 2014.
- EdLeader21 4th Annual Event (attendee / coach for table groups). October 1-3, 2014.
- “Scaling Up Your Venture Without Screwing It Up.” Stanford Business School MOOC with Bob Sutton and Huggy Rao. September 15 – October 19, 2014
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Open Idea Lab 2-day Session with Strategic Health Initiatives and MVPS Innovation Diploma. Co-facilitated design-thinking workshop with Mary Cantwell, Bo Adams, and Innovation Diploma Disney Cohort. August 2014